The Live Oak School was located about seven miles north east of Bertram between that city and Mahomet, and was in Common School District #38. The school began some time in the 1880s, and on June 1, 1888, Mr. and Mrs. V. Bertram deeded two and three-quarter acres to "Live Oak Grove District #5" for school purposes (Volume T, Page 397, DRBC) Additional land was received by the district on November 20, 1916 when J. W. Stewart deed two and one-half to the trustees, J. R. Williams, J. T. Stewart, and A. C. Perry (Volume 57, Page 111, DRBC), and on August 19, 1924, when Mr. and Mrs. Hubert W. Hall deeded additional land (Volume 67, Page 530, DRBC).
The old wooden building was torn down some time in the 1920s and a brick structure was erected, and the school was consolidated with Bertram in 1942.
Teachers that taught at Live Oak School included Texas Russell, 1899; Mattie Maud McAllister, 1907; L. S. Chamberlain and Belle Chamberlain, 1914; Nettie Savage and Mae Chamberlain, 1915; Ted C. Carter, and Juanita Pope, 1916-1917; Myrtle Parker, 1917; Lula Mae Marcus, Hazel Hibler, and Ollie Buckner, 1918; Morris H. Breazeale and Lois Fluitt Breazeale, 1919; Bertie Grant and Lois Williams, 1920; Jo Culbertson and Lois Williams, 1921; Juanita B. Pope, Mrs. Jim H. McFarlin, and Mrs. Eleanor Hadlock, 1922; Lilia Behrns and Rosa Fewell, 1923; Mr. and Mrs. Neal B. Fox, 1924-1925; Katheryn Bryson and Thelma Williams, 1926; Anne Lanier and Mrs. Prentiss Allen, 1927; Vernon Price and Mrs. Velma Browning, 1928; Beulah Ross, 1929, 1930; Montie J. Williams, 1929; Henry Taylor 1930; Ruth Hasty, 1931; Mrs. Albert Ray, 1931-1932; Lois Stapp, 1932-1933; Myrtle Lee Blankenship, 1933; Harry Lewis, 1934-1935; Margie Stapp, 1934-1937; Maye Perry, 1936-1937; Agnes Westen and H. B. Asher, 1938-1939; Owen Kenneth Johnson and Mrs. Helen Whitted, 1940; Fairie Kieksey and Jeanette Johnson 1941.
From: Vol 1, Page 186 - Our thanks to Darrell Debo for his work on the Burnet County History (2 volumes, Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979)
Postscript: After Live Oak School closed, J. U. & Zula W. Hunt converted it to their home. It is located on FM243 about seven miles north east of Bertram. Location: 30°47'44.9"N 97°57'50.6"W
James Roland Williams [2/25/1868 - 11/20/59] & Rose Ella (Stewart) Williams [12/23/1876 - 3/23/62] lived near the school and boarded many of the teachers though the years. A number of the teachers were their children including: Lois Williams (Mrs. Neal B. Fox), Thelma Williams (Mrs. Hubert Cochran), Montie J. Williams. Harry Lewis also boarded with the Williams when he taught at Live Oak, then after WW II he came back and bought the old Williams home place near Sycamore Springs.
© 2006-2015, All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries, genealogical
societies, and for personal use; however, commercial use of this information
is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the Mahomet Christian Church (DOC).
Stories, photos and records cannot be copied and reposted on
any other website without permission. You may link to these pages.
Last updated on the 10th of August 2015.