The Mahomet Christian Church was established at old Sycamore Springs just across the county line in Williamson County sometime shortly after 1851 when a school house was built and services held there. Prior to the erection of a school the members met in various homes with some of the men standing outside the house where the meeting was taking place to guard the worshippers against Indians. People came from as far away as Lampasas and Dobyville to unite with and attend services of the congregation. In the summers a two week meeting was usually held and people came from far and near, camping for the entire meeting.
In 1898 the Sycamore school burned and the following year a schoolhouse was built at Mahomet and land given by B. H. Stewart. The Mahomet church continued to meet here in this new school building. Some years later the Methodists moved their meeting house from Mt. Horeb to Mahomet and the Christians held services in the Methodist building.
The Methodist congregation dwindled in numbers and strength, so on May 13, 1936 the land on which the meeting house stood was sold to C. P. McCormick, Willie Greer and John Clark elders of the Christian Church of Mahomet, Texas. The former Methodist building was used, but after a few years it was torn down and rebuilt. Families holding membership in the Mahomet churchy included the Greers, Williamses, Stapps, Stewarts, Clarks, Burches, Bakers and McCormicks.
Ministers have included Cornelius A. White, Morgan Morgan, ____ Kelly, Mrs. Annabel Lee Gatlin, P. E. Hawkins, J. J. Ray, L. G. Ament, Eugene Peters, Bob Robertson, E. J. Barnett, Ray Akin, W. H. Kincaid and Lyman Veach.
The Mahomet Church often shared a minister with the Bertram Christian Church. At one time the Mahomet congregation was a large rural congregation, but as the people left the farms and moved to the towns so have the church members. This is the only church in the small community.
Taken from a History of the Christian Churches in Burnet County by Darrell Debo, a copy of which is in the Burnet Library.
From: Vol 1, Pages 224-225 - Our thanks to Darrell Debo for his work on the Burnet County History (2 volumes, Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979)
© 2006-2015, All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries, genealogical
societies, and for personal use; however, commercial use of this information
is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the Mahomet Christian Church (DOC).
Stories, photos and records cannot be copied and reposted on
any other website without permission. You may link to these pages.
Last updated on the 10th of August 2015.