The Texas Historical Commission plaque in the front of the Mahomet Christian church reads:
Mahomet-Sycamore Springs Community
Settlement in the part of Burnet County began in the 1850's. Two early communities were Mahomet and Sycamore Springs. Originally located eight miles from each other. Pioneers of Mahomet were George Ater, William G. Hall and Mr. Sanford. While Sycamore Springs was settled by the Smart, Stewart, and Williams families. Although Sycamore Springs once has 3 gins, a general store, a school, and two churches. Little evidence of the community now remains.
Much speculation has taken place over the years concerning the origin of the unusual name of the Mahomet settlement. Research now indicates that the town was probably named by the first postmaster George Ater, who came to Texas from Mahomet Illinois. Both the original Mahomet Post Office and an Austin-Lampasas Stage Stop were located at his home.
The Mahomet Christian Church, moved from Sycamore Springs in 1899, continues to worship near this site. Mahomet is also the home of the Mt. Horeb Masonic Lodge, which was relocated from nearby Williamson County in 1915. The community burial ground (0.54 miles. SW) dates from the early 1850.
The history of these two related settlements is an important part of Burnet County's heritage.
Select Picture to Enlarge
© 2007-2011, All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries, genealogical
societies, and for personal use; however, commercial use of this information
is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the Mahomet Christian Church (DOC).
Stories, photos and records cannot be copied and reposted on
any other website without permission. You may link to these pages.
Last updated on the 5th of November 2011.